(click to enlarge)
|The county town Plaunitz is
in the centre of the model railway layout. It is situated in the west of the
German federal state Republic of Saxony at the foothills of the Ore
mountains in the valley of the river Pleiße. Plaunitz was founded
as a Slavian settlement. In the first documentary evidence of the year 1113
it was named Plavnica. Thereafter Plaunitz became the seat of the
Duke of Plaunitz.
||After the construction of the new
railway line Nuremberg-Hof-Dresden, Plaunitz quickly developed to become an
important industrial town. Two further railway lines branched off in Plaunitz.
One of them was abandoned in the 90ies of the 20th century. The electric tramway
was built in 1928 and is still in operation.
01 December 2001